choosing an engine

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:11 PM
I am in the process of choosing an engine for a 3d isometric shooter and XE is looks very promising. are there any tutorials that give a good look at how to get started XE? I haven't had a chance to really look at the sample game just yet, so maybe that's all I need. Also, will the editor be coming back anytime soon? Or does the old one still work?
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2008 at 5:34 AM
There is a new release just around the corner that has a greatly improved editor, and much cleaner and more organized code. There's also some new documentation that is included in that release. You should keep in mind that the sample game is kinda half-done. It's going to be better but I haven't really had much time recently with school starting back up and everything.
Sep 19, 2008 at 4:53 PM
Thats great news with the editor and documentation. I played with the engine a little last night and I was really impressed. I think the sample game is developed to a good point. It is complex enough to give an idea of what can be done, but simple enough that you can read through the code without really knowing much about the engine. Although it would be nice if the menu had an exit item. I'll be showing the rest of the team XE over the weekend. We are just starting to model some of the concept art so we will need to lock in on an engine here pretty soon. Any idea on a time frame for the next release?
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2008 at 12:29 AM
Edited Sep 20, 2008 at 12:34 AM
Within a few weeks or so. There is really just some cleanup left to do. I'm wondering though, if the engine is really suited for an isometric game? It's really more of a physics heavy/standard projection game. Although it wouldn't be hard to make an isometric camera if thats the kind of gameplay you want to achieve.
Oct 1, 2008 at 6:55 PM
Just wanting to check on your progress.