Problem of XEngineModelProcessor

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM
Dear all

I have a example model at http://www.twku.net/test.fbx
it's a box model with brown color material.
The problem is that it can't find out the texture if importing this model by XEngineModelProcessor and it just displays black color in XEngine
I'm confused if my model is broken or there is some problem on XEngineModelProcessor?

Thanks
Jul 28, 2008 at 9:24 AM
After switching from v2.1.4.2->v2.1.5
v2.1.4.2 Demo

v2.1.5 Same Demo

I suspect a lighting issue although I have been unable to track down the problem.

Next I decided to try to make up a level2 for the demo app included with v2.1.5 after failing several times. (model/textures appear correct, but collision detection is way off). I decided to import level1.fbx into 3DS Max and re-export it with the following options show in the pictures. The collision detection is not correct as show in the pics. Is there currently any way to have the engine render the bounding boxes or anything from the physics classes for debugging? The tracks bounding geometry doesn't seem to follow what I actually see.

If anyone has success exporting fbx or x model files for use in engine v2.1.5 let me know how you did it. I have yet to have much success and I must admit I am still trying to figure out how the XNA content pipeline works and the recently added X-Model content processor confuses me.
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2008 at 1:30 AM
How are you setting up your actor? Is the body a TriangleMeshObject? Also the actor's ShowBoundingBox property will determine whether or not to draw the bounding box.

Well the new content processor is likely far from perfect, however it works fine for models I exported from XSI. I've found that there are problems when the model is not exported with very specific vertex coordinates, which can be thrown off by transforms on the model, etc.. If there is some kind of "Freeze Transforms" options, I'd look at that. I havent used 3DS Max in a while, but I know that in XSI this will cause the vertex coordinates to correct themselves.

Also the X-Model content processor is the same as the TriangleMeshProcessor from before, but it adds skinning support for later on when the engine will support model skinning. I'm not having problems seeing textures or anything with 2.1.5.

I havent had an problems exporting either file format from XSI, it may be the FBX exporter you are using.
Aug 6, 2008 at 6:12 AM
The black model problem, I found out was because XRenderer sets the texture of Mesh[0] to all other meshes in the model. Seems the car model and several others of mine didn't have textures on Mesh[0] but did on other meshes in the models.

Been preoccupied with other changes so I haven't found out what was causing the bounding box problem. I am having problems with the 3ds fbx exporting to crazy scale factors etc, its probably something with the exporter like you said.
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:50 AM
Just so everyone knows, the texturing issue has been solved in the next release.